Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Get to Know Teddi Hanslowe

Soprano Theodora (Teddi) Hanslowe has sung on stages across the globe. This weekend, she sings the role of Madeleine Mitchell, the disconnected matriarch of her modern family, in Three Decembers. We asked Teddi three questions to get to know her better as an opera singer, learn about her process as a performer, and get her point of view on the evolution of opera today. 


Did you always want to be a singer or performer? And specifically an opera singer?

I think I always wanted to be a singer. My family is very musical, and I grew up singing and with a lot of music in our home. I idolized Julie Andrews and sang in musicals in high school. I also played the oboe for 8 years. My musical training was not typical for an opera singer. I majored in English and was active in the Drama department at Cornell University, where I got my bachelors. When I spent a year in Vienna, Austria, where my father was born, I got hooked on the opera. At that point, my interest in foreign language and acting and singing all started to come together. I was lucky that the vocal training I got was good, so despite not studying voice as my major in college, I was able to begin working as an opera singer quite early, and I never did anything else.

Maddy is a complex (amongst other adjectives) character. What is the process like getting into this role, as opposed to other parts you have sung in the past? 

Maddy is a narcissist,  very career-oriented and charismatic, and she thrives on stage. She is her best self on stage. I have played a lot of sweet, sympathetic characters (Cenerentola, Sister Helen, the Composer), and it took me a while to stop judging Maddy, given her poor parenting abilities and how self-absorbed she is. But playing Maddy is FUN. Portraying a character who is herself an actress - and particularly an actress with secrets - allows for a lot of layering in her personality. And she's a star. She's big and vibrant.

What is your take on the evolution of opera, both musically and within society? And how do you see modern opera – like Three Decembers – fitting in with the classics? 

I think the classics are here to stay, but the importance of developing new operas with current subjects can't be overstated. Musically, the last 100+ years have been about exploring new harmonies and dissonances to express more modern emotion, and rhythms more reflective of spoken language. In society, I would say opera has taken on more relevant subject matter, provoking discussion and thought about current issues. As for Three Decembers, there are a lot of people who think they don't like opera who will find this a very entertaining and moving piece. Heggie's score is gripping, the story is fast-paced, and here, you have a cast of singing actors who really tell a story. How this particular opera fits into the large scheme in the pantheon of opera is hard to say, because it is a smaller work than Heggie's Moby Dick or Dead Man Walking. I think it has the ability to woo a different audience, and that may be its most important role.


Usage of any images on this blog is restricted to The Atlanta Opera and approved news websites. Any other usage, particularly for professional purposes, must have written permission. For additional information, please contact The Atlanta Opera's Marketing Department at 404.881.8801.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guidelines: All comments will be reviewed before being published. Please refrain from the use of profanity or personal attacks as such remarks will not be approved for posting.